This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Rock Out to Benefit Gulf Coast Oil Spill Victims Tonight
gulf coast benefit july 1 2010
Two months into the Gulf Coast Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill disaster there remains no viable solution to stop the gusher, which continues to spew an estimated 100,000 gallons per day from the ocean floor (a fraction of which is apparently captured by BP).But there IS something we can do to help now.
Half a dozen Los Angeles music venues are hosting benefit concerts tonight as part of the global Gulf Coast Benefit Concerts. Proceeds from all participating venues will be donated to The Gulf Restoration Network, a nonprofit committed to uniting and empowering people to protect and restore the natural resources of the Gulf Region for future generations.
The benefit concerts were organized and promoted by a network of LA- and New Orleans-based talent buyers and do-gooders, including Casey Phillips, who books for The Mint, Viper Room, and Tipitina's in New Orleans among other places, Nic Adler and Megan Jacobs of The Roxy Theatre, Sloane Berrent, and Nathan Levinson.
July 1 Gulf Coast Benefit Concerts:
- The Roxy: Rebelution, Cisco & Shwayze, Fatlip, Yeti Beats (8pm, $20)
- The Mint: Kaki King, Ben Lee, Carina Round, Rachael Cantu + special guests The Silver Lake Chorus (8pm, $18)
- Viper Room: Mickey Avalon at 11pm, Beardo at 10pm, Wicker at 9pm, Andrew Reilley (of Meriwether) at 8:00pm, DJ Quickie Mart ($20/25)
- The Comedy Store: 16 Headlining Comics incl. Al Madrigal, Natasha Leggero, Dov Davidoff, Maz Jobrani, Don Barris (9pm)
- Saint Rocke: Iglu & Hartly, Fight Friendly (9pm, $15)
- Three Clubs: Barrio Tiger, Lightsystem, Lozen, Brothers Collateral ($5)
- Fais Do Do
Click here to find out how you can get involved, details of benefits outside of LA, and more!