This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
• Author Chuck Klosterman is at Vroman's Bookstore to discuss and sign Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story at 7 PM.
• John Vanderslice performs a free in-store tonight at Amoeba Music at 7 PM.
• The Knitting Factory features Smog, Heavenly States and Great Northern at 8 PM. Tickets are $12.
• At the Hollywood Bowl, Sarah Chang will perform Shostakovich's "Violin Concerto No. 1"; the LA Phil will perform Brahms' "Symphony No. 1" and Glinka's "Overture to Ruslan and Lyudmila" at 8 PM. Tickets range from $6-42.
• The Martini Kings perform tonight at The Scene, plus DJ Freddie O spinning Frank, Dean and Sammy. $5 cover.
• AFI at ArcLight presents the original Dracula starring Bela Lugosi at 8 PM.
• The Fold at Tangier has Juana Molina and Languis tonight at 9 PM. Tickets are $15.
• "Complete Control" Thursday performances by Duane Peter and Die Hunns, Primadonna, The Worthless and a surprise guest tonight at The Scene. Cover is $10.
• Juana Molina performs tonight at McCabe's Guitar Shop with special guest Jesca Hoop. Tickets are $16; the show starts at 8 PM.
• Crooked Fingers, Eric Bachman, Solo Acoustic Set, Bobby Bare Jr. and Tom Heinl are at Spaceland tonight. Doors open at 9 PM.
• The Knitters (John Doe, Exene and DJ Bonebrake from X/Dave Alvin from The Blasters), Phranc and The Lucky Stars perform tonight at the El Rey at 8 PM. Tickets are $26.
• Pinback, Jade Shader and more guests TBA are at the Glasshouse tonight at 7 PM. Tickets are $13 advance, $15 day of.
• At the Troubadour tonight are Shonen Knife, Nu-tra, The Idaho Falls and The Dollyrots tonight at 8 PM. Tickets are $13 advance, $15 day of.
• Book Soup presents Thurston Moore signing Mix Tape: The Art of Cassette Culture at 2 PM.
• Arthurfest starts today at Barnsdall Art Park, featuring performances by Sonic Youth, Sleater-Kinney, Yoko Ono, The Black Keys, Spoon, Cat Power, Comets on Fire, Dos, Sunn O))), Dead Meadow, Six Organs of Admittance, Olivia Tremor Control and many more. Tickets are $40 for a single-day pass and $75 for a two-day pass.
• "Kara E. Walker's Song of the South" opens tonight at REDCAT. The receptioin runs from 6–9 PM, with a performance by the artist at 7 PM.
• The Erotic Cinema Festival Pornothon returns to Mr. T's Bowl at 9 PM. Pornothon 3 features XXX films, a live stage show and a Ron Jeremy look-alike contest. Tickets are $10. [21+]
• The Hollywood Bowl presents Brian Wilson performing SMiLE at 7 PM, featuring special guests The Polyphonic Spree. Tickets are $14-37.