This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
LAist's Free Gig Guide
Long weekends are relaxing, but they can also be daunting. To assuage the malaise, LAist has assembled a list of musical diversions that are kind to your wallet, while also providing a nice alternative to the crowded beaches. Unless otherwise noted, all performances are free.
- Joy Burnworth, plays a free concert at The Promenade at Howard Hughes Center. The performance starts at 6pm. Call (310) 641-8073.
- DJs Michael Stock and Benjamin White of Part Time Punks begin their two month residency at MOCA with tracks from the great haunts of Manhattan circa 1979-87. Stock and White perform at 6pm. Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore performs at 8pm. The event is free with general museum admission. Call (213) 621-1734.
- Octavio Figueroa performs Latin jazz at the Levitt Pavilion in Pasadena. The show starts at 8pm. Call (626) 683-3230 for details.
- Dirty Dirty House Club returns to Akbar with house grooves from DJ Tony Powell. The show starts at 9pm and admission is free before 10pm. Call (323) 665-6810 for more information.
- Violinist Endre Balogh, violist Steven Gordon, cellist Dennis Karmazyn and pianist Genevieve Lee perform Brahms’ Piano Quartet No. 2 in A minor, Op. 26 for the LACMA Sundays Live Series. The show starts at 6pm. Call (323) 857-6234.
- Catch the 10th Annual Central Avenue Jazz Festival, located between 42nd and 43rd Streets. The festival hours are11am-7pm. Call 213-978-0333.
- Run Run Run start their month-long Monday night residency at Spaceland. Doors open at 8pm and the show begins at 9pm. Call (323) 661-4380
- Trumpeter Elliott Caine and pianist Sergey Kyosayan play Revo Cafe at 8pm. For details, call (818) 549-0809.
- Former Go-Go’s and Delphines member, Kathy Valentine, performs tracks from her new solo album at Amoeba Records at 7pm.
- Catch Cathy Segal-Garcia at The Muddy Moose Lounge at The Sportsmen’s Lodge. The show starts at 8pm. For more info, call (818) 755-5000.
- Barbara Morrison performs classic jazz at the Farmer's Market. The show starts at 7pm. For info, call (323) 933-9211.
- Steve Riley & The Mamou Playboys perform at the Culver City Hall Courtyard at 7pm. Call (310) 253-5698.