This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
LAist's Free Gig Guide
Autumn officially starts this week... what better way to chase away the 5-degree temperature fluctuation than some hot music? Unless otherwise noted, all performances are free.
- Listen to Molly Howson & the Grits, Bucksworth, Skeeter Truck, Kingsizemaybe, Soda & His Million Piece Band, King Straggler, and 50 Cent Haircut at the Third Street Farmers Market at 3pm. For details, call (323) 933-9211.
- DJs Michael Stock and Benjamin White of Part Time Punks continue their two month residency at MOCA. The show starts at 6pm. Odd Nostrom of Anticon takes the stage at 8pm, followed by a screening of Rize. The evening is free with general museum admission. Call (213) 621-1734.
- Catch the Latin jazz of conguero Francisco Aguabella at One Colorado in Old Pasadena, from 9pm to midnight. Call (626) 564-1066.
- Mews Small & Her Fabulous Females, Brad Kayand Justefanie play at Unurban Coffeehouse at 1pm. Call (310) 315-0056.
- The USC Thornton Wind Ensemble, H. Robert Reynolds, principal conductor, and Sharon Lavery, resident conductor, perform works by Lauridsen, Piston, Milhaud, Hartmann and Grantham at USC Thornton School of Music at 4pm. Call (213) 740-2167.
- The Second Annual Bolero Festival features performances by Los Dandy’s, Mariachi Divas, Yari More y Su Orquesta, Trio Casablanca and Trio Guadalajara in the Exposition Park Rose Garden at 6pm. Call (213) 473-2304.
- Members of Chamber Music Palisades play at the LACMA Sundays Live Series. The show starts at 6pm. Call (323) 857-6234.
- DJs Michael Stock and Benjamin White spin post-punk, mutant disco and indie 80s-90s at the echo at 10pm. For info, call (213) 413-8200.
- Carlos Guitarlos plays at The Liquid Kitty at 10pm. For details, call (310) 473-3707.
- The Oohlas continue their residency at the echo. Doors open at 8pm but there's no cover after 10pm. For details, call (213) 413-8200.
- Run Run Run also continue their residency at Spaceland. Doors open at 8pm and the show begins at 9pm. Call (323) 661-4380
- One Of The Loudest Tragedies Ever Heard take the stage at the Silverlake Lounge at 11pm. Call (323) 666-2407
- Giant Drag perform at Amoeba Records at 7pm.. Call (323) 245-6400 Annie Sellick performs at Hollywood Park Casino at 7:30pm. For info, call (310) 330-2800..
- Amoeba Records throws a Uketopia party featuring Janet Klein and Ian Whitcomb at 7pm. For info, call (323) 245-6400.
- The Fuxedos play Nova Express Cafeat 10 p.m. For details, call (323) 658-7533.
- The Ernie Watts Quartet takes the stage at the Third Street Farmers Market at 7pm. For details, call (323) 933-9211.
- Catch live Latin music from local artists every Thursday at Zona Rosa Caffe at 8:30pm. Call (626) 793-2334.
- Dirty Dirty House Club play Akbar, with house grooves from DJ Tony Powell. Doors open at 9pm; admission is free before 10pm. Call (323) 665-6810.
- LACMA's Friday Night Jazz Series features the Don Preston Quartet in the LA Times Central Court at 5:30pm.