This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
LAist's Free Gig Guide
Music is the best elixir to kick the proverbial autumnal malaise. Don't let the shorter days or dipping mercury get you down. Check out these free local gigs instead.
- DJs Michael Stock and Benjamin White of Part Time Punks continue their residency at MOCA. The show starts at 6pm. It's free with general museum admission. Call (213) 621-1734.
- The Groovy Rednecks play at S.W. Hill Country at 6pm. Call (323) 256-2500.
- Sean Newhouse performs the Overture to Verdi’s La Forza del Destino, Bloch’s Schelomo with cello soloist Elizabeth Willey, and Brahms’ Symphony No. 1. at Glendale's Alex Theater at 7pm. Call (310) 859-7668.
- Concert organist Yoon-Mi Lim performs works by Bach, Duruflé, Widor, Brahms and James Hopkins at the Pasadena Presbyterian Church at 7:30pm. Call (626) 793-2191.
- Enjoy live music with DJ Chocolate Cassanova at the Apple Store on the Third Street Promenade. The DJ spins tunes from 8-10pm.
- Mews Small & Her Fabulous Females take the stage at the Unurban Coffeehouse at 1pm. For details, call (310) 315-0056.
- The Luckman Jazz Orchestra performs at the Luckman Fine arts Complex at 6pm. Call (323) 343-6600.
- The legendary conguero Poncho Sanchez performs live with is Latin jazz ensemble at Amoeba Records at 2pm. For information, call (323) 245-6400.
- Carlos Guitarlos plays at The Liquid Kitty at 10pm. Call (310) 473-3707.
- Pianist James Boyk and clarinetist Margaret Thornhill plays at the LACMA Sundays Live Series. The show starts at 6pm. Call (323) 857-6234.
- The Eagle Rock Music festival starts at 7pm in the Center for the Arts. Call (626) 795-4989.
- DJs Michael Stock and Benjamin White spin post-punk, mutant disco and indie 80s-90s at the echo at 10pm. For info, call (213) 413-8200.
- Lavender Diamond begin their October residency at the echo. The show starts at 8:30pm. For details, call (213) 413-8200.
- Colored Shadows start their month-long residency at Spaceland. Doors open at 8pm and the show begins at 9pm. Call (323) 661-4380.
- Sexytime Explosion take the stage at the Silverlake Lounge at 10pm. Call (323) 666-2407.
- The Cheatin’ Kind, The Paul Chesne Band, McCrae Adams, Helen Henderson and The Resonators jam in Ronnie Mack's Barn Dance at El Cid at 8pm. Call (323) 668-0318
- Big Mike performs at Viva Cantina. Call (818) 845-2425 for information.
- Blackalicious perform at Amoeba Records at 6pm. Call (323) 245-6400.
- Listen to live, local jazz at the Third Street Farmers Market at 7pm. For details, call (323) 933-9211.
- Catch live Latin music from local artists every Thursday at Zona Rosa Caffe at 8:30pm. Call (626) 793-2334.
- Dirty Dirty House Club play Akbar, with house grooves from DJ Tony Powell. Doors open at 9pm; admission is free before 10pm. Call (323) 665-6810.
- LACMA's Friday Night Jazz Series features the John Heard Quintet in the LA Times Central Court at 5:30pm.