This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
LAist's Free Gig Guide
Unless otherwise noted, all shows are free of charge.
- Songa Lee-Kitto, Su-a Lee, and Chie Nagatani perform for LACMA's Sunday Live series. The concert begins at 6pm in LACMA's Leo S. Bing Theatre. Call (323) 857-6234.
- New Valley Symphony Orchestra performs Puccini’s La Bohème with vocalists from Opera of the Foothills and L.A. Lyric Theater at 1:30pm. The show is not free, but the proceeds benefit free concert series at Forest Lawn’s Hall of Liberty and free youth concerts at San Fernando Valley high schools. It's a worthy cause that allows things like this "free gig guide" to exist. For tickets call (818) 789-5466.
- Rosemary's Billygoat, Stigmeta, Brendon Small's Deathclock and Dropsonic perform at Spaceland at 9pm. For details, call (323) 661-4380.
- 50 Cent Haircut plays The Liquid Kitty at 10pm. For details, call (310) 473-3707.
- Colored Shadows wrap-up their residency at Spaceland. The doors open at 8pm and the show begins at 9pm. Call (323) 661-4380.
- Lavender Diamond conclude their October residency at the echo. The show starts at 8:30pm. For details, call (213) 413-8200.
- Fielding, Loma Lynda, The Outline and Madras take the stage at the Silverlake Lounge. Call (323) 666-2407.
- UCLA presents Festival of African American Music: A Tribute to Great Jazz Big Bands, Composers, Arrangers, Improvisers. The concert begins at 7pm in Schoenberg Hall. Call (310) 825-8000.
- The USC Vocal Jazz Ensemble perform in Newman Hall on the University Park Campus at 7:30pm. Call (213) 740-2167.
- Dub Club play echodelic sounds of roots, rocksteady, ska, dub, dancehall, and reggae at the echo at 9pm. Featured DJs include Tom Chasteen, Boss Harmony and Roy Corderoy, along with MCs Jah Faith, Chicho Don, and Benjamin Dungeonmaster. The show is free before 10pm. Call (213) 413-8200.
- Boris take the stage at Amoeba Records at 7pm. Call (323) 245-6400.
- Catch live Latin music from local artists every Thursday at Zona Rosa Cafe at 8:30pm. Call (626) 793-2334.
- Akbar's Dirty Dirty House Club features house grooves from DJ Tony Powell. Doors open at 9pm; admission is free before 10pm. Call (323) 665-6810.
- LACMA's Friday Night Jazz Series features the CJS Quintet in the LA Times Central Court at 5:30pm.