This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Kip Winger Rules!
• At Largo, Sarah Silverman will be performing her own special, heartwarming brand of standup with Louis CK. Doors open at 8 PM.
• This month's Monday night resident, Mia Doi Todd, will be performing at The Echo with Damon Aaron, Languis, and DJ Nobody & Kutmah. The show starts at 8:30 PM, and admission is free. [21+]
• The Troubadour hosts Eisley with The Elected (featuring Blake Sennett and Jason Boesel of Rilo Kiley) and The Colour at 7:30 PM. Tickets are $12 advance.
• Modest Mouse will be appearing tonight at The Wiltern with Love as Laughter and Cass McCombs. Doors open at 7 PM and tickets are $23.50.
• At the Egyptian Theatre, see a special Ain't It Cool News/American Cinematheque sneak preview of Steamboy, the new film from director Katsuhiro Otomo, the man responsible for the landmark anime Akira. The movie begins at 7:30 PM.
• It's a Terry Gilliam kind of night, with screenings of Brazil, followed by 12 Monkeys, beginning at 7:30 PM at the New Beverly Cinema.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Pickets are being held outside at movie and TV studios across the city
For some critics, this feels less like a momentous departure and more like a footnote.
Disneyland's famous "Fantasmic!" show came to a sudden end when its 45-foot animatronic dragon — Maleficent — burst into flames.
Leads Ali Wong and Steven Yeun issue a joint statement along with show creator Lee Sung Jin.
Every two years, Desert X presents site-specific outdoor installations throughout the Coachella Valley. Two Los Angeles artists have new work on display.