Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

Arts & Entertainment

Judge's Ruling Clears The Way For Katy Perry To Buy Los Feliz Convent

Convent.MichelLocke2.jpg
The Los Feliz convent at the heart of the battle. (Photo by Michael Locke via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.


An L.A. judge has invalidated the sale of a former convent in Los Feliz to restaurateur Dana Hollister, clearing the way for Katy Perry to buy the property. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Stephanie Bowick announced her decisions during a brief hearing Wednesday morning. The case had pitted Perry and the Los Angeles Archdiocese against five elderly nuns, who preferred that their former convent be sold to Hollister. The archdiocese filed suit to stop the Hollister sale in June 2015.The Sisters of the Most Holy and Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary purchased the 8-acre gated, hilltop property in 1972. The aging convent was home to the California Institute of the Sisters of the Most Holy and Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary for nearly 40 years, but none of the order's remaining five sisters currently live on the property—the Archdiocese of Los Angeles kicked them out in 2011, according to a Billboard story.

"I think it’s because they were trying to sell our property," Sister Catherine Rose Holzman, 86, told Billboard. "They had been trying for years even when we lived there. But none of us ever wanted to leave.”

Billboard reports that the archdiocese's treatment of the sisters "devolved into a troubling pattern of neglect and broken promises" over the last two decades, and that the sisters fear they won't see a penny from a sale to Perry (the archdiocese brokered Perry’s offer to pay $14.5 million—$10 million to cash—for the property without the nuns’ involvement, according to Billboard). Billboard reports that Hollister’s offer for $15.5 million (with only $100,000 in cash) was made directly to the sister's order.

The Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary argue that they had the legal authority to sell the property to Hollister because it is among the assets of their order's nonprofit institute, according to the L.A. Times.

Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Archdiocese has fought to stop the sale, countering that the church has exclusive legal authority over the property, meaning the nuns were unauthorized to broker a sale.

“Katy Perry represents everything we don’t believe in,” Holzman told Billboard. “It would be a sin to sell to her.” City News Service reports that a sale to Perry will likely occur soon.

In a statement to LAist, Perry's attorney Eric V. Rowen said that although they were still awaiting the judge's written order (it will be released later today), his team was "very pleased with the Judge’s description of her ruling this morning, which indicates that we won the real property issues, clearing the way for our client to buy the property at issue."

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today