• Bernhauser, Anchors for Architects, Seven Times On The Sea, Sticky Children and El Ten Eleven are playing tonight at the Knitting Factory. The show starts at 8 PM. Tickets are $5.
• The UCLA Live season kicks off with live theater, featuring plays by Charlie Kaufman and Francis Fregoli, plus music by Carter Burwell and featuring Hope Davis, Peter Dinklage, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tom Noonan, Meryl Streep and David Thewlis. The plays begin at 8 PM; tickets are $38-60 ($17 for UCLA students).
• Author John Powers and LA Weekly columnist Marc Cooper will discuss Powers' book, Sore Winners: American Idols, Patriotic Shoppers and Other Strange Species in George Bush's America, at the Silent Movie Theater tonight at 6:30 PM. To RSVP, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio will screen tonight at 8 PM at the ArcLight, to be followed by a Q&A with Woody Harrelson and director/screenwriter Jane Anderson.
• The New Beverly Cinema is showing Jim Jarmusch's absolutely brilliant Dead Man at 7:30 PM.
• Tickets are sold out, but fans without them can still hold out for standby admission to a special screening of Antonioni's The Passenger tonight at 8 PM, featuring a special appearance by the director himself.
Click here to see our complete list of events for the week.