This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
2010: The Adult Industry in Photos (SFW)
Tori Black entertains fans at the Elegant Angel booth during the 2010 Adult Entertainment Expo -- also see 2009: The Adult Industry in Photos (Koga/LAist)
Thousands of miles, 12 set visits, 4 award shows, 2 conventions, 2 colleges, and 1 benefit.
Those were the statistics for LAist last year in covering the adult industry, headquartered in the San Fernando Valley.
And for four women, 2010 was quite a memorable year:
Tori Black, whom LAist first met three years ago, won the trifecta of Performer of the Year trophies at the 2010 AVN, XBIZ, and XRCO Awards as well as Favorite Female Starlet at the FAME Awards. She co-hosts the 2011 AVN Awards with Riley Steele (Piranha 3D) and has a record 22 nominations.
Bobbi Starr, who has 17 consecutive nominations for the 2010 and 2011 AVN Awards, filmed her mainstream debut with Andy San Dimas in director Nicolas Winding Refn's adaptation of James Sallis' novel Drive, to be released in 2011. And she was crowned Fleshbot's 2010 Crush Object of the Year.
Kimberly Kane, who won Best Actress for her portrayal of Dana Scully in The Sex Files: A Dark XXX Parody at the 2010 AVN Awards, is nominated for nine 2011 AVN Awards including Female Performer of the Year. She starred in adult parodies of The Big Lebowski and Katy Perry, directed critically-acclaimed movies for various studios, and taped a PSA for the Free Speech Coalition against piracy. And she won XCritic's 2010 Performer of the Year.
Sasha Grey, who won Crossover Star of the Year at the 2010 AVN and XBIZ Awards for her starring role in director Steven Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience, filmed a controversial recurring role in Entourage as well as a commercial for Virgin Mobile. She DJ-ed at clubs and her industrial noise project aTelecine released multiple albums. And in the publishing world, she became a Playboy cover girl and her long-awaited book neu sex streets February 15th.
So on the eve of this week's Adult Entertainment Expo and the aforementioned 2011 AVN Awards in Las Vegas, here's a look back from our cameras.
- On-Set: Hustler's This Ain't Star Trek XXX 2: The Butterfly Effect, 1/25/10
- Red Carpet: XBIZ Awards, 2/10/10
- Media Room: XBIZ Awards, 2/10/10
- On-Set: Burning Angel's Bartenders, 3/14/10
- On-Set: New Sensations' Seinfeld: A XXX Parody #2, 5/2-5/4/10
- On-Set: Revolution X/Digital Sin's The Sex Files: A Dark XXX Parody 2, 5/15-5/17/10
- Naked Pictures Of Sasha Grey Found Wheatpasted Throughout California - LAist/Fleshbot (NSFW)
- eXXXotica LA, 7/9-7/11/10
- Backstage: FAME Awards, 7/10/10
- On-Set: Reality Blue Media's Superstar Showdown: Tori Black vs. Alexis Texas, 9/1 & 9/2/10 (NSFW)
- Free Speech Coalition's 'Freedom Party' @ The Whisky, 9/1/10
- On-Set: CEAgency's Here Cums The President, 10/17-10/19/10 (NSFW)
- On-Set: Xenith Entertainment's PR0N: A Tron XXX Parody, 11/9 & 11/10/10 (NSFW)
- On-Set: Lee Roy Myers' 'Sailor Moon': A XXX Parody, 11/16/10 (NSFW)
- On-Set: Girlfriend Films' Girls In White Pageant 2011, 12/1 & 12/2/10 (NSFW)
- On-Set: Exquisite Media's The Justice League XXX: An Extreme Comixxx Parody, 12/6/10 (NSFW)
But Yeoh is the first to publicly identify as Asian. We take a look at Oberon's complicated path in Hollywood.
His latest solo exhibition is titled “Flutterluster,” showing at Los Angeles gallery Matter Studio. It features large works that incorporate what Huss describes as a “fluttering line” that he’s been playing with ever since he was a child — going on 50 years.
It's set to open by mid-to-late February.
The new Orange County Museum of Art opens its doors to the public on Oct. 8.
Comic-Con Is Live And In-Person Again And Yes, That Means Cosplayers Are Back. Why They're So ExcitedCosplayers will be holding court once again and taking photos with onlookers at the con.
Sacheen Littlefeather Talks About What Really Happened Before, During And After Rejecting Marlon Brando’s OscarLittlefeather recalls an “incensed” John Wayne having to be restrained from assaulting her and being threatened with arrest if she read the long speech Brando sent with her.