Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

Disneyland Plans To Reopen In Late April

Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland, California. (Chava Sanchez/ LAist)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Get your mouse ears and Disney-themed face masks ready. At Tuesday's Disney shareholders meeting, Disney CEO Bob Chapek announced that they expect to be able to reopen their Southern California parks with limited capacity by late April.

"Here in California, we're encouraged by the positive trends we're seeing and we're hopeful they'll continue to improve," Chapek said in the meeting.

While he didn't offer a specific date, he said it should be announced "in the coming weeks." The state announced last week that theme parks could reopen as soon as April 1, but there are some logistics that mean it won't be happening quite that soon.

Chapek said:

"The fact is it will take some time to get [the parks] ready for our guests — this includes recalling more than 10,000 furloughed cast and retraining them to be able to operate according to the state of California's new requirements."


That's expected to be a big benefit for Anaheim and the surrounding community. Anaheim Mayor Harry Sidhu, noting a severely impacted economy, has been among the loudest voices calling for Disney's SoCal parks to reopen.

There's also the issue of Disney's food event, "A Touch of Disney," which opens March 18 and has sold tickets through early April. It's only taking place in California Adventure, but it's giving fans the chance to get a taste of what they've been missing.

But it won't be that long until they get something closer to the real deal. Parks will still have limited capacity, with attractions within the park also likely to be significantly limited. Several Disneyland parking lots have also been in use as a mass vaccination center in the area due to the parks’ closure; it’s unclear when those lots will reopen for attendees, though the need may not be there at the moment due to the limited capacity.

Sponsored message

While Disney has been hurting during the pandemic, with billions lost between everything from their parks and movies to their cruise line, they had a big piece of news to announce during that shareholders meeting: their Disney+ streaming service now has more than 100 million paid subscribers worldwide.

Our news is free on LAist. To make sure you get our coverage: Sign up for our daily newsletters. To support our non-profit public service journalism: Donate Now.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today