Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Dead Man Found With 1,200 Guns Claimed To Have Been Secret Alien Agent

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

In an X-Files-worthy twist, the man found dead last week with a massive hoard of weapons claimed to be an alien/human hybrid working with a secret government agency.

The decomposing body of Jeffery Lash was found along with a stash of over 1,200 guns in his Pacific Palisades home on July 17. And now it's been discovered that Lash's fiancée, Catherine Nebron, and Nebron's employee Dawn VadBunker, reportedly believed Lash to be an alien savior working an unnamed government agencies, according to KTLA. Vadbunker was also reported missing until last week when she was located in Oregon.

Nebron and VadBunker reportedly left Lash's body in the SUV after he collapsed in the parking lot of a Bristol Farms in Santa Monica on July 4. Nebron didn't report the death to authorities because she believed that the secret agencies he worked for would come to collect him. She then left for Oregon with VadBunker. VadBunker's mother tells KTLA that her daughter, who has still not returned from Oregon, was convinced that Lash was not entirely human: "He [said he] was part alien and part human and was out to save the world."

Authorities were directed to Lash's body by Nebron's attorney, Harland Braun. Braun tells the Associated Press that when Lash first collapsed, Nebron said, "He wouldn't go to a hospital and didn't want any 911 call." Lash reportedly told Nebron that the government agencies would take care of his body and his possessions in the house, which in addition to the 1,200 guns, authorities also found 6.5 tons of ammunition, bows and arrows, knives, machetes and $230,000 in cash. There were also apparently a number of SUVs modified for different types of terrains, as well as an amphibious vehicle. Several neighbors of Lash only knew him as "Bob" and believed him to be a gun fanatic who claimed to have worked for either the CIA or FBI. One neighbor told the L.A. Times, "He'll say crazy things to people like he does night missions swimming to Catalina... [H]e would show us self-defense moves."

Support for LAist comes from

When Nebron returned from Oregon after 10 days, she was "shocked" to still find Lash's body in the SUV where she left him and hadn't been picked up by the "agencies". That's when she contacted Braun, who called the police. According to the AP, some neighbors believed that Lash was dying of cancer, but he had told Nebron that he had been "exposed to nerve-damaging chemicals on a mission and his condition was worsening." An autopsy on Lash's body was completed on Tuesday but the cause of death has not been officially released, though his body was badly decomposed. Los Angeles Police Deputy Chief Kirk Albanese tells the L.A. Times that no foul play is believed to be involved, but said that Lash was suffering from end-stage cancer and did not work for a government security agency.

Why Lash had amassed so many weapons, ammunition and vehicles—and how he was able to afford what Braun believes to be over $5 million worth of guns—still remains a mystery. David Dwyer, president of the Palisades Homeowner Assn. #4, tells the L.A. Times that there was no evidence of weapons or other hoarded items when repairs were done at the Palisades home in 2011. KTLA reports that there are still several storage units in Lash's name that have yet to be opened.

The family of VadBunker believe their daughter may be having a mental breakdown. VadBunker still has not contacted her parents or two teenage daughters and is believed to still be in Oregon. Laura VadBunker, Dawn's mother, tells KTLA, "It's worse than a Twilight Zone movie and we've lived through hell."