Coronavirus In LA: Here's Everything That Happened Yesterday
We're going to try something — a once-a-day mega roundup of L.A. coronavirus news. (Hopefully this helps you sort through all the noise that happens in a given day!)
Here's what happened Friday, March 13:
- LAUSD has canceled in-person instruction starting Monday, for 2 weeks. Coursework will continue online. LAUSD leaders also announced 40 "family resource centers" will open March 18 to provide care for children.
- Long Beach Unified has also canceled in-person classes starting Monday. The closure is currently scheduled to last until April 20.
- Here’s how some parents are reacting to the school closures.
- And here are some tips on how you can keep your kids entertained and learning – and your nerves less frayed – if they’re at home.
- Yes, L.A. libraries are also shutting down.
- And big news for the 2020 Census: Community groups working in L.A. County to promote census participation in historically undercounted areas are pausing their in-person canvassing efforts because of the coronavirus.
- There was a new L.A. County update: There are 8 new coronavirus cases in the county, bringing the total to 40.
- And an Orange County update: Nine people in Orange County have tested positive for coronavirus, but there is no evidence of widespread infection, officials said.
- President Trump also declared a national emergency over the coronavirus.
- Meanwhile, lots of questions have been raised about L.A.’s plans for homeless people who get infected. One thing happening now: More than 100 handwashing stations are being deployed at homeless encampments.
- Hospitals are also bracing for a surge in patients. Here are a few things they’re doing, including running drills for an emergency triage process.
- Meanwhile, not everyone in L.A. is freaking out. Our columnist Erick Galindo writes:
“I grew up in the black and brown margins of L.A., and for people, especially people of color, on the margins of society, a pandemic is just another boogie-man.”
MORE ON CORONAVIRUS: