Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This


Ciancia Family 'Shocked And Numbed' By LAX Shooting

LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.

The family of the suspected gunman in a deadly rampage at Los Angeles International Airport released a statement on Monday, sharing their “deep and sincere sympathy” with relatives of the TSA agent who was slain in the attack.

Paul Ciancia's family issued the following statement through attorney John Jordan in New Jersey, according to KTLA:

“We like most Americans are shocked and numbed by the tragic events of last Friday. We acknowledge the need to understand what happened and why it happened. To that end, we as the Ciancia family have fully cooperated with the FBI and other law enforcement agencies over the last several days. It is most important for us as a family to express our deep and sincere sympathy to the Hernandez family. On all accounts, Officer Hernandez was an exemplary member of the law enforcement community and a good family man; our hearts go out to his family and any others who grieve his passing.

We wish to convey too our hopes for those who were wounded in this incident will experience quick and full recoveries. We also regret the inconvenience experienced by thousands of travelers as well as the administration and the employees of the Los Angeles Airport."

The 23-year-old alleged gunman, who moved to Los Angeles within the last two years, is still in critical condition following Friday's shootout with officers at LAX. TSA Agent Gerardo Hernandez was killed during the shooting, which shut down the airport for hours.
Support for LAist comes from

TSA agents James Speer, 54, and Tony Grigsby, 36 were wounded in the shooting and have been released from the hospital. Calabasas High School teacher Brian Ludmer, 29, is in fair condition after being wounded and is expected to undergo a second surgery today.

Ciancia had sent text messages to family members that prompted a request that the Los Angeles Police Department check on him Friday morning, according to the police chief in the small New Jersey town where the family lives.

Officers arrived at at Ciancia’s Sun Valley residence on Friday, but missed him by a matter of just 45 minutes. When LAPD arrived at Ciancia's home, he wasn't there. Two of his roommates were sleeping and they weren't sure where Ciancia and their other roommate had gone, CNN reports.

Ciancia could face the death penalty as a result of the charges being filed against him.

"Paul is our son and brother. We will continue to love him and care for him. We will support him during the difficult times ahead," the Ciancia family's attorney said on their behalf. "While we do not mean to minimize the grief and stress experienced by many other families, we hope that the public will understand that this is a very difficult time for our family too.”

Support for LAist comes from


'Tragic' Timing: Police Went To Check On Alleged LAX Shooter Just Minutes After He Left For Airport
FBI: Paul Ciancia Targeted TSA, Wanted To 'Instill Fear Into Their Traitorous Minds.'
What We Know So Far About The LAX Shooter
Reports: Gunman Opens Fire At LAX, Kills TSA Agent