Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Video: LAPD Searching Chris Brown's Home After Hours-Long Standoff

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Update [2:55]: Chris Brown stepped out of the house around 2:30, but has not been arrested. He is speaking to police with his lawyer Mark Geragos.

Police entered Chris Brown's home just before 1 p.m. Tuesday, following an hours-long standoff while authorities waited for a search warrant. A warrant was finally obtained just after 12:30 p.m. According to an LAPD representative, Brown has not been arrested and it remains unclear if he will be. We will update this post as the situation evolves.

"Until everybody is interviewed—witnesses, all potential people that were in that residence—until they are interviewed... we cannot provide you with any more information on what actually occurred...,'' Los Angeles Police Department Lt. Chris Ramirez told City News Service.

The trouble began around 3:15 a.m., when an unnamed woman called 9-1-1 to say she had been threatened by the singer, who was allegedly brandishing a gun. According to the L.A. Times, police officers responded and attempted to enter the house, but Brown told them to obtain a search warrant.

The standoff continued for several hours, with a SWAT team and Brown's high-profile lawyer Mark Geragos heading over to the home just after 9 a.m., while Brown shared a series of profanity-laden videos on Instagram, saying he had been asleep most of the night and done nothing wrong.

Sponsored message

Sometime before 10 a.m. Brown allegedly threw a duffel bag out the window from which police retrieved weapons and drugs, according to TMZ, who report that the singer told the police to "Come and get me" and he threw the bag out the window.

Despite the 9-1-1 call, police were likely unable to the enter the home until they obtained the warrant because the woman who called for help had already exited the home before calling 9-1-1, meaning she wasn't in immediate danger.

"That's the whole point of the 4th Amendment warrant requirement, that you need a warrant before you enter unless you have an emergency. For instance, if he was assaulting her at the time, if he was threatening to kill himself with the gun, if he was pointing the gun out the window—if something was happening with some immediacy, then they could enter," Stan Goldman, a law professor at Loyola Law School (and Mark Gerago's former professor, natch) told LAist.

"Otherwise, you're supposed to get a warrant to make sure that a judge intervenes and you're not just breaking into people's homes," Goldman explained.

Baylee Curran, the woman who was allegedly threatened by Chris Brown and called the police, told TMZ that an "older gentleman" was at the house selling diamond necklaces and watches, and that the incident occurred after she admired a diamond cross necklace. Curran, who was Miss California Regional 2016, told TMZ that Brown then pulled his gun out, waved it at her, and told her to "get the eff out." Brown's team tried to get Curran to sign a non-disclosure agreement before leaving but she refused. Curran alleges that Brown's team tried to prevent her from retrieving her cellphone and shoes (she had previously been in a hot tub) unless she signed the NDA.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today