Support for LAist comes from
Made of L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Murder-Suicide At Cemetery Leaves Three Dead [Updated]

Our June member drive is live: protect this resource!
Right now, we need your help during our short June member drive to keep the local news you read here every day going. This has been a challenging year, but with your help, we can get one step closer to closing our budget gap. Today, put a dollar value on the trustworthy reporting you rely on all year long. We can't hold those in power accountable and uplift voices from the community without your partnership.

Three people are dead following what police are calling a murder-suicide at Bellevue Memorial Park in Ontario on Saturday.

According to Ontario police, witnesses said a man was sitting in his car at the cemetery when three family members in their 60s arrived in a separate car around 3 p.m. NBC L.A. reports that the three walked up to a grave; one of the women was using a walker.

Then the man who had been apparently waiting, got out of the car, and quickly shot two of the family members—one man and one woman, according to ABC-7— before shooting himself.

The Press Enterprise reports the shooter fired just a few shots at close range.

Support for LAist comes from

The woman who was using the walker was left uninjured. Investigators said the three deceased were related by marriage and were visiting the grave of a family member, but did not release any other information. A motive has yet to be determined.

Updated 1:24 p.m.: City News Service reports that the two family members killed have been identified as married couple Misak Minasyan, 60, and Hripsime Minasyan, 59. The shooter was by 71-year-old Karapet Karajan, who detectives said had been married to the deceased wife's sister. Karajan had become estranged from the rest of the family, and was distraught over the Jan. 3 anniversary of his wife's death in 2011.

Most Read