Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


1983 Murder Suspect Caught In Mexico By Beverly Hills Cops

The heat is on. Roxbury Memorial Park, Beverly Hills (Photo by Scott Dexter via the Creative Commons on Flickr)
Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

There are cold cases, and then there are near frozen, 32-year-old-fled-to-another-country cold cases. This is one of the latter.

Police have finally tracked down a man who fled to Mexico after the alleged murder of his estranged wife's friend 32 years ago in Beverly Hills. On April 3, 1983, Juan Jesus Flores was at Roxbury Park, a public park on Olympic Blvd., for a joint visitation with his daughter, his estranged wife and her friend, Robert Garver. At one point during the visit, Flores and Garver began arguing. And while the cause of the dispute has not been released, the fight ended when Flores got in his car and allegedly ran down Garver, critically injuring him, according to the L.A. Times.

At the time, Flores turned himself into police and was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon. But when Garver died three days later, Flores fled to his native Mexico where he vanished for 32 years. Police were apparently unable to locate Flores until earlier this month.

Flores was finally tracked down and caught on June 5, and was then extradited to Los Angeles. Where in Mexico he was found has not yet been released. He is being held without bail and is expected to appear in court on July 7.