Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This


Ask the MACist

LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.

Welcome to the latest edition of Ask the MACist, the column where I answer your Mac and Mac-related questions with hopefully more clarity and insight than you could ever need. As always, I want to thank those of you who sent in questions this week. They are much appreciated. Keep it up!

And remember, if you have a question about anything Mac, Mac-related, or even something about another technology like TiVo, cell phones or whatever, send it to me, The MACist, at: themacist at gmail dot com. Ok, let's get to it.

This one comes from Vanessa in Los Angeles. She asks "I'm curious (read: anxious) to know if I can bring my Powerbook G4 with me when I move to New Zealand, or if it would be smarter to sell this one and purchase a new one upon arrival."

Support for LAist comes from

Well Vanessa, you're in luck because the Powerbook is a special computer (much like all of Apple's recent laptops) in that it can use voltages from all different parts of the world -- including the 230/240 used in New Zealand. So, you won't need to worry about any kind of power converter, at least for your Powerbook. You will, however, need a plug adaptor as New Zealand uses a flat type two or three prong connector much like many other non-North American countries.