225 Ways to Celebrate Los Angeles
Franklin Avenue noticed that 2006 is LA's 225th year. They asked City Council President Eric Garcetti "where's the party?" — and he answered:
We certainly will be doing our usual celebration on Labor Day, when we re-enact the Walk of the Pobladores from the Mission in San Gabriel to Olvera Street. We always have a party there afterwards. I'll check with Tom LaBonge to see if there is anything beyond that scheduled, but a number of us have certainly been talking about 225 being a good anniversary to celebrate.
But you don't have to wait until Labor Day, because LA City Nerd has picked up on Franklin Avenue's meme and is coming up with 225 Ways to Celebrate LA. We think it's unfair to lump eating at Philippe's, El Cholo, Pink's and Tommy's all into one item, but we're throwing our hat in the ring anyway. Here are five LAist additions to the Nerd's first 15.
16. Take a walking tour of Angelino Heights
17. Visit the La Brea Tar Pits
18. See a free show at Spaceland on Monday night
19. Eat steak at the Saddle Peak Lodge above Malibu
20. Look at LA through international photographers' eyes at 18th Street in Santa Monica
What are 5 ways you'd celebrate Los Angeles?