Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

Judge Orders ICE To Reduce Immigrant Detainee Population At Adelanto Amid COVID-19 Outbreak

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

A federal judge had ordered U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to reduce the population at the Adelanto ICE Processing Center amid a coronavirus outbreak at the facility.

With 147 confirmed active cases reported as of Tuesday, according to ICE's website, the San Bernardino County facility had the largest current outbreak among ICE immigrant detention centers in the country.

According to Judge Terry J. Hatter’s order, the government must reduce the population at the facility starting Monday by at least 50 detainees a day, until the population is at or below 475 detainees. As of last week, about 750 people were detained there.

The order says ICE can reduce the Adelanto population by either releasing or deporting immigrants who are detained there, but cannot transfer detainees to other facilities. Judge Hatter also wrote that the government cannot release people who’ve had COVID-19 until they test negative for the virus and are symptom-free.

Judge Hatter first ordered a reduction in the population at Adelanto in April after the ACLU of Southern California sued due to concerns about the virus spreading at the facility. But the government appealed, and the order was halted as the case went to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Last month, the case was sent back to the lower court as the outbreak was growing.

ICE officials said in a statement that the agency does not comment on litigation.

Sponsored message

READ MORE ABOUT COVID-19 AT ADELANTO:

Our news is free on LAist. To make sure you get our coverage: Sign up for our daily coronavirus newsletter. To support our nonprofit public service journalism: Donate now.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today