Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This


Woman Convicted Of Raping Another Woman With A Golf Club

Gavel (Photo by Daniel Wiedemann via Shutterstock)
LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.

A woman was convicted this week of sexually assaulting another woman with a golf club before leaving her naked and badly beaten on the side of a San Diego freeway.Catherine McCoy, 49, had been convicted of kidnapping and beating the victim in a previous trial, but the jury deadlocked on the issue of whether or not McCoy had also raped the woman, according to the Union-Tribune.

McCoy said she targeted the then-21-year-old victim in the attack, because she had sex with McCoy's ex-boyfriend. McCoy admitted to the attack in a call from jail to her grandmother, saying the victim "deserved it."

The attack happened in August 2011. McCoy went to the home where the victim was staying and lured her out to the garage. There she and a man named Christopher Carrera—who was previously convicted of felony charges in the attack—dragged her into a Ford SUV. Carrera drove while McCoy was in the backseat beating the victim with her fists and a flashlight. At one point, she asked the victim to strip, and she then raped the woman with a wooden putter.

The prosecutor in the case told a jury that McCoy said, "You (expletive) my man. I'm going to (expletive) you now."

Support for LAist comes from

Then Carrera pulled over and the pair dumped the naked, badly beaten and incoherent victim on the side of a freeway in Spring Valley just east of San Diego. A passing motorist found her and called for help.

Although McCoy copped to kidnapping and beating the victim, she denied raping her. Her defense attorney cast doubt on the victim's accusations by claiming that she was unreliable, because she had been doing heroin the day of the attack and there wasn't physical evidence of her rape, according to a local ABC affiliate. That argument didn't fly with the jury.

A judge set her sentencing hearing for March 22, and she could face 33 years to life in prison, the Union-Tribune reported.