This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Week Around the Ists
Photo by lauren*o
- Chicagoist didn't let the season's biggest snowfall so far deter them from stirring up some heat over an impending visit from the cast of MTV's Jersey Shore.
- Shanghaiist spent the weekend up in Harbin right after one of the coldest snow storms to hit North East China in 60 some years. Why? Because we're masochists. Also, the ice festival.
- LAist reported on the sentencing of a local doctor whose road rage against a cyclist will cost him 5 years in prison.
- Torontoist featured the work of Alden Cudanin, who makes photo remixes of streetscapes by combining old and new photos of the same location.
- Phillyist revealed the participants in its second Phillyist Framed exhibition.
- Bostonist uncovered Republican Senate candidate Scott Brown's support for torture, teabagging and, less predictably, hipsters.
- Seattlest's jaw did the opposite of dropping in surprise as the Seahawks fired coach Jim Mora.
- Gothamist was intrigued when former mayor Rudy Giuliani said on Good Morning America, "We had no domestic attacks under Bush. We’ve had one under Obama."
- Londonist reinterpreted a new royal portrait.
- SFist was rattled by three prominent earthquakes, not to mention the end of another unimpressive 49ers season.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.