Week Around the Ists
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Gothamist found out that "heroin-addicted hobos from around the country" are camping out in trendy Williamsburg. One deli owner complained to a local newspaper, "They could take a nice hot bath. One kid comes in and the whole store will be smelling for hours."
- Torontoist considered the ramifications of Tim Hortons—the coffee and donut chain synonymous with Canadiana—arriving in New York City.
- Bostonist exposed Yelp's geographic confusion while pondering the history of hipster hatred.
- Shanghaiist commemorated Michael Jackson's death a little late but with flash mob style.
- LAist took a stroll down memory lane to visit a long-gone theme park that was all about the birds and the beer.
- Phillyist interviewed best-selling author Jennifer Weiner.
- Chicagoist had a little fun with a unique (and delicious) cookie tribute to dead pop icon Michael Jackson.
- Seattlest declared Seattle the bacon capital of the nation (of the nation, yes, yes!) and considered the health-ruining effects of cycling.
- Londonist enjoyed seeing Mayor Boris playing train driver.
- SFist worried about cyclists who refuse to wear helmets and a city that lacks tasty cheap eats.