Week Around the Ists
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- Gothamist found out that "heroin-addicted hobos from around the country" are camping out in trendy Williamsburg. One deli owner complained to a local newspaper, "They could take a nice hot bath. One kid comes in and the whole store will be smelling for hours."
- Torontoist considered the ramifications of Tim Hortons—the coffee and donut chain synonymous with Canadiana—arriving in New York City.
- Bostonist exposed Yelp's geographic confusion while pondering the history of hipster hatred.
- Shanghaiist commemorated Michael Jackson's death a little late but with flash mob style.
- LAist took a stroll down memory lane to visit a long-gone theme park that was all about the birds and the beer.
- Phillyist interviewed best-selling author Jennifer Weiner.
- Chicagoist had a little fun with a unique (and delicious) cookie tribute to dead pop icon Michael Jackson.
- Seattlest declared Seattle the bacon capital of the nation (of the nation, yes, yes!) and considered the health-ruining effects of cycling.
- Londonist enjoyed seeing Mayor Boris playing train driver.
- SFist worried about cyclists who refuse to wear helmets and a city that lacks tasty cheap eats.