Vegas-Bound? Legionnaires Disease Bacteria Found in Luxor's Water
Is your destination Vegas? This story might gross you out. Health officials in Sin City confirm the presence of the bacteria that causes Legionnaires' disease was recently found in water samples from the Egyptian-themed hotel-casino following the death of a guest from the form of pneumonia, reports the Associated Press.
In the past year, there have been three reported cases of Luxor guests getting diagnosed with the illness caused by Legionella bacteria, according to data shared by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention with the Southern Nevada Health District.
MGM Resorts, who operate the Luxor, have notified past guests who stayed at the hotel from June 21 and July 4, 2011 that they may have been exposed to the bacteria. The same hotel operator is currently "facing a civil lawsuit from guests who said they were infected with Legionella at the Aria Resort & Casino." MGM Resorts is half-owner of that and other City Center properties; there were six reported cases of infection last July at the Aria.
Legionella bacteria isn't spread from person to person, but rather it tends to grow in warm water and infects people who breathe in contaminated mist or vapor. Not everyone who comes in contact with the bacteria fall ill, however.
MGM Resorts say they have dealt with the contamination at the Luxor through all the proper remedies, including water treatment, and that the water there is safe.
A similar outbreak also plagued the iconic Playboy Mansion's grotto last year.