Support for LAist comes from
True LA stories, powered by you
Stay Connected

Share This

News

Pasadena’s Rose Parade Canceled Due To Pandemic

5f0f2e9721ab3e000af8a9f2-eight.jpg
The Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration at the 127th Tournament of Roses Parade (Disneyland handout, via Getty Images)
LAist relies on reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.

The Rose Parade will not make the traditional march down Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena this coming New Year’s Day, making it one more thing the coronavirus pandemic has messed up in Southern California. A decision on whether to play the Rose Bowl football game, though, is still in the air, officials said.

The Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association, which puts on the annual events, announced the cancellation Wednesday, following lengthy consultations with sponsors, bands, float builders and health experts.

David Eads, Executive Director and CEO, said:

“We could not delay a decision because delaying the decision would just be more financial risk for our float builders, more financial risk for our bands that are needing to book travel and do contracts, (and) with hotels and arrangements to come to Pasadena."

The five international bands schedule to march in the 132nd edition of the parade had already withdrawn due to travel restrictions imposed to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
Support for LAist comes from

READ MORE ABOUT THE CANCELLATION:

Our news is free on LAist. To make sure you get our coverage: Sign up for our daily coronavirus newsletter. To support our nonprofit public service journalism: Donate now.