With our free press under threat and federal funding for public media gone, your support matters more than ever. Help keep the LAist newsroom strong, become a monthly member or increase your support today.
How Long Before California’s Campaign Finance Website Is Replaced?
When will Cal-Access — the antiquated web portal to track California’s campaign money and lobbying — finally be replaced?
The short answer: Probably not before December 2026. That’s after the next statewide election, when reporters and the public most need the data.
Secretary of State Shirley Weber’s office is currently evaluating bids and says it expects to have a primary vendor on board by this summer, according to its update Tuesday to the Assembly Budget Subcommittee on State Administration.
An independent assessment commissioned by Weber’s office and the California Department of Technology estimates the project could take 27 months, but the actual timeline depends on the vendor, John Heinlein, assistant project director, told the committee.
Cal-Access is the system where campaign and lobbying disclosures required by state law are uploaded. It’s the main way for the public to keep track of how much campaign money candidates and ballot measure campaigns are raising, and who the donors are, as well as how much lobbyists are spending and who is hiring them.
But to the frustration of many, the site experiences frequent outages, sometimes for hours at a time.
Asked whether it tracks outages, the Secretary of State’s office said via email that it has implemented a “stabilization” project and hasn’t seen significant outages this year.
The replacement project aims to make the system more reliable, user-friendly and allow for better transparency, according to the Secretary of State’s website.
Weber’s office is seeking an additional $16.8 million in the 2024-25 budget to develop the initial plans and project structure, on top of existing funding of $5.4 million.
The new and improved Cal-Access is already at least three years overdue.
The project was initiated in 2016, under then-Secretary of State Alex Padilla, who is now a U.S. senator. After multiple delays, the new system was scheduled to roll out in June 2021, but was paused by Weber due to shortcomings of the replacement system that an independent assessment described as “flawed at the architecture, data structure, middle-tier, and user presentation layers.” Based on that assessment, Weber’s office opted to restart the process.
The state has allocated about $70 million to the project to date, and spent at least $40 million as of September 2022.
-
Earlier this month, we did a story on the die-hard Tree of Heaven with surprising resonance.
-
New rules will have to be approved by L.A. City Council members by February as the city faces a mandate to plan for more than 450,000 new homes by 2029. Areas of the city zoned for single-family homes are in hot pink.
-
How did a 22-year-old law student afford a $1 million home at the center of civil fraud allegations?The home is owned by O.C. Supervisor Andrew Do’s daughter, Rhiannon Do, who is among four individuals named as defendants in Orange County’s civil lawsuit alleging embezzlement of millions in public funds. LAist investigated the purchase.
-
A local for-profit college is making a hard sell to prospective students. But it’s always a good idea to explore your options.
-
Prime Minister Narendra Modi made the announcement this week.
-
Here's the final tally as of the midnight Monday deadline.