Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


101 Freeway Death: All Lanes Re-Opened After Cops Fatally Shoot Pursuit Suspect

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

All lanes of the southbound Ventura (101) Freeway are now re-opened following an overnight investigation in the aftermath of a man shot to death by Los Angeles police officers.

The shooting marked a dramatic and fatal close to a car chase led by a man suspected of reckless driving. The deceased is a 19-year-old Winnetka man who was shot by cops when he jumped out of his vehicle onto the freeway in Woodland Hills just before 10 p.m. Wednesday night, explains City News Service.

The chase was brief. It began in Northridge at Plummer Street and Shirley Avenue, when the suspect fled from a traffic stop. Officers did not pursue him aggressively, in the hopes the man would relent and stop, but the driver opted to increase his speed and flee.

According to the LAPD, the man drove erratically during the pursuit, and ran red lights. He got on the 101 freeway, but exited at Topanga. He re-entered the freeway heading southbound.

Support for LAist comes from

The chase ended at Canoga Avenue, after the suspect turned his vehicle sideways across lanes. The LAPD drove a squad car into the driver's side door.

The driver emerged from the vehicle, and appeared to be gesturing, and may have had something in his hands pointed at the officers. Video shot by news helicopter crews show that the man did appear to have been aiming something at officers. In response, the officers quickly opened fire.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene, and his body was removed at around 6:30 a.m.

The investigation into the pursuit and the officer-involved shooting is ongoing.

NBC-LA has video of the conclusion of the shoot, up until the suspect goes down following the LAPD gunfire.

View more videos at: