Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Photos: 10,000 Precious Gallons Of Water Flood West Hollywood

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

A water main break in West Hollywood early Sunday morning unleashed 10,000 gallons of water, creating a sinkhole and flooding nearby homes and garages.

A 12-inch LADWP pipe burst in the 1200 block of Formosa near Santa Monica Boulevard around 4 a.m. Sunday and continued gushing until the water was shut off at 5:40 a.m., according to KTLA. Residents in the area had water service restored at 6:45 p.m. that evening but clean-up efforts were continuing through Monday morning.

There is no estimate of how much damage there was, but the main break did flood underground parking garages and the small river of water lapped lawns and even seeped into some homes. Six cars in garages were damaged. Los Angeles County firefighters worked to pump water from the garages but some of them look like they were totaled. Crews were working this morning to fill the sinkhole created by the main break.

Angry residents said that this is the third time in the past four years that this same section of pipe broke. Resident Roxanne McBride told KTLA, "Everybody wants to save water, right? Well then fix the frickin' problems."

The LADWP told ABC 7 that the pipe was installed in 1936, and the likely cause of the break was simply age. Kirk Broyard with LADWP told ABC, "It was just one of many places where we need to have a water main replaced."

The Los Angeles Times notes that there have been 5,200 leaks in the LADWP pipes since 2010, and two-thirds of those pipes were installed before 1950. The worst was a burst pipe that flooded UCLA last July.

A Times analysis of city data last year showed there had been 5,200 leaks in L.A. DWP pipes since 2010, and that two-thirds of those leaking pipes were installed before 1950.

Sponsored message

Here are some photos from the watery scene:

Sponsored message

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today