Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


WeHo Man Turns Up Badly Injured And Comatose In Hospital After Going Missing For A Week

Support your source for local news!
Today, put a dollar value on the trustworthy reporting you rely on all year long. The local news you read here every day is crafted for you, but right now, we need your help to keep it going. In these uncertain times, your support is even more important. We can't hold those in power accountable and uplift voices from the community without your partnership. Thank you.

Ramon Estrada, who went missing from West Hollywood on July 7, has been found—comatose in a hospital as a 'John Doe.'Estrada, 37, vanished on his way home from the Gold Coast bar in West Hollywood. He had called his partner at 1:45 a.m. to ask him to unlock their door because he was headed home, but he never showed up. For the next several days, family and friends searched for him, only to discover that he was in a coma at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, CBS LA reports.

Police believe Estrada's injuries—which include a broken shoulder, head trauma, pneumonia and heart issues—may have been caused by a beating. When Estrada was found, his fingers were too swollen to get a full print and he was not carrying and ID, so he remained in the ICU under the pseudonym "Trauma Echo." The phone Estrada used to make the call was also missing.

According to a GoFundMe set up by Estrada's partner Michael Shutt and his friend Wendy Mairena, Shutt and Mairena went to talk to detectives on July 14 to check on the status of his missing persons report. When they showed the detectives one of the flyers they had made, one inspector recognized Estrada as the same unidentified man they'd found the night Estrada went missing.

Estrada had been spotted unconscious on the corner of Mansfield Ave. and Santa Monica Blvd. between parked cars, a short distance from his home, about 20 minutes after he'd phoned Shutt to say he was leaving Gold Coast. His friends think he took a bus to Orange and Santa Monica, then began walking from the bus stop to his home.

Support for LAist comes from

The GoFundMe, which is raising funds for Estrada's medical bills, has raised $4510 of its $15,000 goal.

Most Read