Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Metrolink Contractor Speaks For 1st Time Since Crash

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

Veolia, the firm hired by Metrolink to supply train engineers has had no comment since the September train crash in Chatsworth that killed 25 people until now. While the investigators have has asked them not to comment on specifics about engineer Robert Sanchez or the crash, they did talk about their cell phone policy.

"I think up to this accident, we had the strongest [cellphone] policy in the business given the ones I'd seen," said Ronald J. Hartman, an executive vice president for rail for Veolia, to the LA Times. Hartman continued to say that the company's police prohibits cellphone use by their engineers and requires them to be turned off and out of reach while operating a train. Supervisors who encounter engineers on a daily basis often check for cell phone usage and even sometimes call cell phones when engineers are driving to see if they are following policy.

National Transportation Safety Board investigators released preliminary information last week regarding Metrolink Engineer Robert Sanchez' cell phone records. Of the many text messages that day, the last one sent at 4:22:01 p.m., 22 seconds before the crash, which is estimated to have occurred at 4:22:23 p.m. However, the NTSB says precise timing of cell phone activity and how it correlates with the crash is still under investigation.

Support for LAist comes from

AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes