Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Man Accused Of Holding Teen Captive For Ten Years Acquitted Of Kidnapping

Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.

Isidro Garcia, the man who was arrested in 2014 for kidnapping a 15-year-old girl, holding her captive and sexually abusing her for a decade, was acquitted on one of his criminal charges Friday.ABC 7 reports that Garcia was acquitted of kidnapping, but convicted of committing lewd acts on a child. The Fullerton jury was deadlocked on a verdict regarding a rape charge, leading prosectors to drop that count, according to CBS L.A.

In June 2014, Garcia pleaded not guilty to all of the charges: one felony count of kidnapping to commit a sexual offense, one felony count of forcible rape, three felony counts of lewd acts on a minor.

The details of the case are very disturbing. In May of 2014 the victim, then 25, arrived at a Bell Gardens police station, and told authorities that Garcia drugged and kidnapped her. He held her captive for ten years—raping and abusing her, and forcing her to marry him and have his child. As LAist reported in 2014:

Before she was kidnapped as a teenager, the woman had recently immigrated from from Mexico to join her mother and sister in Santa Ana. She didn't have papers and she spoke no English when she arrived. Garcia was her mother's live-in boyfriend, and he would use the family's undocumented status against her. Garcia fixated on her from the time he met her in February 2004 and would buy her presents. Her mother suspected that he had been sexually abusing her 15-year-old daughter at the time, and it sounds like she was right: the victim says Garcia raped her while her mother was at work between June and August of that year. One day Garcia allegedly hit the mother during a fight, causing the teen to flee to a nearby park. Garcia followed her, where she complained she had a headache and said she wanted to go home. Santa Ana Police Anthony Bertagna told City News Service, "He told her that 'She keeps saying she has a headache and wants to go home, and he tells her, 'You can't. Your mom's called police and they'll deport you."

Garcia allegedly gave her five pills then, and she woke up in a garage in Compton, beginning an ordeal that would last 10 years. Police say he was apparently able to get away with his deeds by putting on a good front, moving around, forging documents and psychologically and physically abusing his victim.

But according to ABC-7, Garcia's attorney made the case that the woman, now 26, left willingly, and fabricated the kidnapping after she regretted her choice and wanted to return to her family. During the trial, the attorney characterized Garcia as a hard worker who loved and supported his family, showing photos of him and the woman smiling at their wedding and at their daughter's birthday party.