This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Funeral for Former LAPD Chief Daryl Gates to Close Downtown Streets
Just as with last week's funeral for SWAT Officer Robert J. Cottle, the death of Former LAPD Chief Daryl Gates means streets closures next Tuesday morning in downtown Los Angeles.
"People not participating in Daryl Gates’ funeral service should avoid the area, as some of the streets in the Central Business District will experience intermittent closures on Tuesday,” said LADOT General Manager Rita L. Robinson. “Congestion in the area is expected to be heavy in Chinatown and the area east of Grand Avenue during the morning commute hours. We request the public’s patience in using alternative routes and allowing additional travel time during this period."
Here are the specifics:
Full Closures between 6:30 a.m. and noon for funeral service
- Temple Street between Broadway and Grand Avenue
- Hill Street between Temple and Ord streets, and all of Hill Place
Local Access Only (Court employees):
- Hill Street between 1st and Temple streets
Intermittent Temporary Street Closures between 8:00 and 9:00 a.m. for the procession:
- 1st Street between Main and Hill streets
- Broadway between 2nd and Judge John Aiso streets
Suggested detour routes are as follows
- To the North Cesar E. Chavez Avenue
- To the East Los Angeles Street
- To the South 2nd Street
- To the West Figueroa Street and Beaudry Avenue>