This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
From Burrito to Blisters: Student Sues LAUSD After Eating Thermometer Left in Her Lunch
A local student's guardian has filed a lawsuit on a teen's behalf against the Los Angeles Unified School District, after the teen bit into her cafeteria burrito and got a big metal mouthful of thermometer.
Dahlia Douglas, a student at Central Arts High School No. 9 in Downtown, ate the tainted burrito in March of last year, reports City News Service. The teen purchased the lunch item from the school cafeteria.
From the suit, a description of the unpleasant meal's events:
"As she began consuming the burrito, (the girl) bit into a large metallic item that was concealed within the food item. She immediately felt pain and discomfort from biting into the metallic foreign object within the food item.''
Additionally, the cafeteria workers copped to the burrito boo-boo, says the suit, which notes those employees "admitted to (the student) that they had inadvertently left the metal thermometer in the food item."
As a result, Douglas was taken ill, and needed to go to the hospital for treatment. She suffered an allergic reaction along with "a rash with painful sores and blisters."
The LAUSD has not commented on the lawsuit, which alleges "negligent supervision and negligent hiring and asks for unspecified damages."
We're pretty sure "thermometer" is not one of the lunch ingredients endorsed by school lunch rabble-rouser Jamie Oliver.