Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Former NFL Player Drugged & Raped Women He Met At WeHo Club On Two Occasions, DA Says

darrensharper.jpg
Darren Sharper. (Photo by Paul Hawthorne/Getty Images)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Former NFL player Darren Sharper has been charged with drugging and raping women in two separate incidents involving the same West Hollywood club.Sharper is also under suspicion of rape in three other states—Arizona, Louisiana and Nevada. Sharper has claimed that he had consensual sex with the accuser in Louisiana.

The two incidents in West Hollywood both happened at Bootsy Bellows, the L.A. Times reports.

The first incident happened in October of last year. Sharper allegedly met two women and led them back to his Los Angeles hotel room, a release from the L.A. District Attorney stated. He then gave them both a shot that was laced with Ambien and morphine. When one woman woke up, Sharper was on top of her. The second woman awoke and stopped him.

In the second incident, Sharper is accused of meeting two other women at Bootsy Bellows on January 14. Again, Sharper allegedly invited them to his hotel room and gave them shots laced with the drugs. When they came to, one of the victims felt like she was assaulted by Sharper and sought medical attention.

Sharper, who was arrested last month and released after posting a $200,000 bond, is charged with two counts of rape by use of drugs, four counts of furnishing a controlled substance and one count of possession of a controlled substance, all of which are felonies. If Sharper is convicted, he could face up to 30 years in prison.

He has been ordered to forfeit his passport and stay in a hotel. He has also been barred from going to Bootsy Bellows, the L.A. Times reports.

Sharper made a name for himself as a safety for the Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings and New Orleans Saints. He was selected to the Pro Bowl five times throughout his career, won a Super Bowl ring with the New Orleans Saints in 2009 and was named to the NFL's "All-Decade Team" for the 2000s. After his retirement, Sharper was an analyst for the NFL Network, who suspended him without pay after the allegations arose.

Sponsored message

UPDATE 4:50 P.M.: Seven women in four different states have accused Darren Sharper of rape, all within the September-January window. On Sep. 22, Sharper was accused of drugging and raping a woman in his New Orleans hotel room. Just a day after the first incident at Bootsy Bellows in October, Sharper allegedly assaulted another woman in a similar manner in Las Vegas.

Another incident allegedly happened in Scottsdale, Arizona on Nov. 20. According to the L.A. Times:

After drinking, one of the women, identified as Jane Doe D, "began acting strangely," prompting her friends to take her home, court documents said. At her apartment, Sharper gave the other woman and their roommate shots of alcohol, according to court records. One woman told police she immediately blacked out. The other, identified as Jane Doe F, said she felt "strange and disoriented" and went to her room to lie down. Later, on her way to the bathroom, she told police she saw Sharper on top of one of her roommates "with his buttocks exposed moving in a thrusting motion."

As of right now, Sharper has only been charged in the two cases in California.
One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today