Extra, Extra: Paved Paradise & Found a Cache of Fossils
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Los Angeles - we keep our surplus of fossils in covered crates outside.
- Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa wants you to trade in your guns for groceries.
- Manhattan Beach just got a little more exciting. A sculpture garden will be added beginning this summer and "some with moving parts, are the first batch to be included in a garden that city leaders hope will continue evolving through the years."
- Who says we have homogeneous beliefs in our communities? Inglewood is facing a number of election runoffs, one for city council and few for seats on the Board of Education.
- Playing games could make you money. SoCal is sending 8 people to compete in the National Monopoly Championships in Washington, D.C. If one of them wins there, they're headed to Vegas to compete to be World Champ.
- Jack Wrangler, the "first gay porn star" has died at the age of 62. The cause of death was complications from emphysema. "Although he performed in both gay and straight adult films, he was always open about his homosexuality and considered a hero of the Gay Liberation movement."
- Looking for a good weekend trip? Four hours to the north, there are some good deals up at Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park in the classy Wuksachi Lodge. It's pretty exciting up there right now as they just announced that 75 caves have been discovered in the last ten years giving the two parks more than 260. But what's not so cool? Verizon wants a cell phone tower among the sequoia trees.
- Police are looking for gunmen who shot and killed two teens in Harbor City last night. The shooting appears to be gang related.
- Last chance to be entered to win the Silver Level Membership from the Premiere Marquee Club! Free shows are the bestest!