This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Paved Paradise & Found a Cache of Fossils
"low. ride. er." Photo by brinegaj via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- Los Angeles - we keep our surplus of fossils in covered crates outside.
- Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa wants you to trade in your guns for groceries.
- Manhattan Beach just got a little more exciting. A sculpture garden will be added beginning this summer and "some with moving parts, are the first batch to be included in a garden that city leaders hope will continue evolving through the years."
- Who says we have homogeneous beliefs in our communities? Inglewood is facing a number of election runoffs, one for city council and few for seats on the Board of Education.
- Playing games could make you money. SoCal is sending 8 people to compete in the National Monopoly Championships in Washington, D.C. If one of them wins there, they're headed to Vegas to compete to be World Champ.
- Jack Wrangler, the "first gay porn star" has died at the age of 62. The cause of death was complications from emphysema. "Although he performed in both gay and straight adult films, he was always open about his homosexuality and considered a hero of the Gay Liberation movement."
- Looking for a good weekend trip? Four hours to the north, there are some good deals up at Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park in the classy Wuksachi Lodge. It's pretty exciting up there right now as they just announced that 75 caves have been discovered in the last ten years giving the two parks more than 260. But what's not so cool? Verizon wants a cell phone tower among the sequoia trees.
- Police are looking for gunmen who shot and killed two teens in Harbor City last night. The shooting appears to be gang related.
- Last chance to be entered to win the Silver Level Membership from the Premiere Marquee Club! Free shows are the bestest!
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.