This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Happy Birthday Tommy Lasorda
- The Emmys are tonight. Keep it locked to @LAist for live tweets, and we’ll have updates here on the site. Tweet at us if you win one.
- In South L.A., poisonous gas from an oil pump is making people in the University Park neighborhood sick. The oil company says there’s nothing to worry about, so it’s probably fine.
- Happy birthday to Tommy Lasorda, who’s 86 today. He was the Dodgers’ skipper last time they won the World Series - in 1988.
- If you have $27.5 million cash from your job, Bob Hope’s house in Toluca Lake is for sale. (How much extra would it cost to move it out of the Valley? Just asking.)
- The New York Times takes a look at the Autry Museum and its attempt to overhaul its image.
- It’s the first day of fall: it’s decorative gourd season, motherfuckers!
- Plus: Keep up with us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter: @LAist @LAistFood @LAistSports. You can also find us on Pinterest, Storify, Foursquare, and Instagram (laistpics).