This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Butt Out, LA
"LA Tigers" Photo by atomicshakespeares via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- Smoking is down 41% in California since the state enacted the California Tobacco Control Program 20 years ago. Even youth smoking is at 14.6%, one of the lowest rates in the nation. What gives? Is it mom & dad setting better examples, the in-our-face anti-tobacco campaigns, or just the steady decline of public places to puff?
- The campaign for city attorney is getting a little ridiculous: "Los Angeles city attorney candidate Jack Weiss’ campaign placed its own flattering headline Tuesday over a Los Angeles Times story posted on the campaign website, making it appear that the paper had declared Weiss the winner of the debate."
- If you're sick and tired of work, you're almost right. You're sick and tired from work.
- There was some payback for real estater/super graphic abuser, Frank Rahban this weekend. Protesters who live near his super graphics around town brought one to his house and had a nice 'ol fashioned protest.
- Although they're cute and furry, think twice before buying a live bunny rabbit this Easter. Those little cutie-pie's often get turned over to shelter's by purchasers who don't think through what they're getting into.
- For those KCRW fans, Whole Foods Market stores in LA County and Orange County will donate 5% of net sales tomorrow to the radio station. It’s a good day to go shopping! Look for KCRW employees at the Santa Monica location interviewing people for their Facebook page.
- A tragic story out of South Los Angeles. This weekend a woman ran over an ex-boyfriend's girlfriend in her Land Rover, killing the 7 month old unborn child she was carrying. Charges are pending in the death of the unborn child and the woman is in stable condition.
- Contest Time! Win a Silver Level Membership for Tix to the Greek & Gibson Ampitheater. Head over here and tell us what concerts you'd pick.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.