This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra - Banana Bandits, Psychic Cats, and Religious Weed
- On today's LAist poll, over 80% of you readers are willing to pony up for a subway to the sea. Is anybody at City Hall listening? Or does Zuma Dogg have to get all wacky on their asses?
- The LAT names two new managing editors. To whom do I write to protest the axing of West Magazine?
- About 200 employees were evacuated from UCLA today after a basement explosion; no injuries reported.
- 16-year-old Victor Manuel Lopez of Lynwood shot dead in a carjacking attempt.
- Psychic cats don't only live on the Third Street Promenade: this cat is predicting nursing home deaths. Calling Stephen King!
- Donate your lunch money to stop Lee Baca from giving any more celebrities special treatment: cause you just KNOW Lindsay is gonna be all "Leeeee can I go to Hyde tonight? Pretty please???"
- Does robbing banks make you hungry for fruity snacks? Apparently it does for the Banana Bandit: he is considered armed and dangerous. And delicious with peanut butter.
- Voracious. Jumbo. Squid. Invade. California!!!!
- In the category of Things We Should Try to Pull Off: the religious defense for marijuana.
- And speaking of...the city is asking the D.E.A. to stop raids on medical marijuana dispensaries. I'll have to tell Xzibit next time I see him go into the one on Sunset and Sierra Bonita!