This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Sad day for blogging. Sean Bonner and Jason DeFillippo are shutting down the Metroblogging Network. That means the L.A. version, which has seen 14,313 posts and 60,645 comments in its lifetime, will go, too.
- Earlier this week we showed you the walkstreets of Venice. This weekend is a great chance to see even more of the neighborhood through the Venice Home & Garden Tour (it's for a good cause!)
- To save money, the LAPD is shutting down four evidence rooms. The move could mean fewer officers on the streets.
- High surf is expected this weekend. So much, conditions might end up dangerous.
- The Tour of California will be in downtown Los Angeles tomorrow. Here's where to watch if your heading down.
- "The seasonally adjusted unemployment rate in Los Angeles County held steady at 12.3 percent in April, the same rate as March, the state Economic Development Department reported today."
- A freeway shooter in the Inland Empire has shot at about 30 cars, damaging vehicles and breaking windows. Police say a BB gun is being used and no one has been hurt
- And... some Friday housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook, through your RSS reader or via our new iPhone app.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.