This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- A car to car shooting left one injured in Silver Lake on Monday.
- Live in Venice, the South Bay or elsewhere in California's 36th District? A deep look into the Democratic candidates on transportation and cycling issues.
- In response to the deadly 2008 Chatsworth train crash that left 25 dead and over one hundred injured and thought to be caused by an engineer who was texting, a federal agency now wants to ban cellphone use by all commuter train personnel.
- Parking at Cedars-Sinai: "It's not the medical bills that are gonna bankrupt me--it's the damn parking lot."
- The non-partisan state legislative analyst issued a report today urging politicians to delay tax breaks and raise taxes and fees to avoid cuts to health and welfare programs in Gov. Schwarzenegger's budget plan.
- KNBC's Vice President of Content is no longer in his position. The news comes after an LA Times columnist ripped the newscast apart for being fluffy.
- Maria Elena Durazo was reelected to head up the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor. The LA Times calls the group the "county’s largest labor group and a political powerhouse."
- And... some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook, through your RSS reader or via our new iPhone app.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.