This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- A Chinese company that produces electric cars said today that they will open its North American headquarters in downtown.
- Sick of airline baggage fees? Some in congress are, too, so they've introduced the Block Airlines’ Gratuitous Fees Act, or BAG Fees Act.
- Today was "No Phone Zone" day and Oprah (and many others) don't want you to drive distracted, which apparently leaves 15 people dead a day.
- The LAPD headquarters finally has bicycle racks that comply with safety standards.
- Twitter your Metro route and you could win a free month pass.
- Hugh Hefner talks about his "Save the Peak" donation and other do gooding he's done in the past.
- Will the Dodgers boycott Arizona over SB 1070, the immigration law?
- And... some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook, through your RSS reader or via our new iPhone app.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.