Extra Extra: Run For Your Lives, Socks of Los Angeles!
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Silly Jack Weiss! He thinks the Valley is different from the City. Tsk tsk! The Daily News takes the Councilman to task (lovingly) for his slip of the tongue.
- Halloween events abound in the city this time of year, and LAist is your best source for the hottest spooky spots: check out our continuing Halloween coverage here.
- OMGZZZ Kitten Cops! I can has ratburgerz?? The LAPD is recruiting feral cats to root out rodents in various L.A. districts.
- The city doesn't have enough money to let people paddleboat at MacArthur or Echo Parks all year long at the cost of $150K, yet they have enough for a 2-hour Christmas parade in November for the total price of $200K? Mayor Sam is not happy.
- Oh. My. God. Speaking of Halloween and costumes, who knew American Apparel was so versatile?? (Full disclosure: this author may be investing heavily in AA goods to complete her Stacy Peralta costume).
- A shooting near Manuel Arts High School left two people dead, although classes were able to go on as usual -- police do not believe the homicides were related to the school.
- Parking lot sting operation! Officials at College of the Canyons in Santa Clarita busted 19 baddies who were misusing handicapped placards. Those scofflaws got what's coming to them!
- Well, this stinks: city sanitation workers are officially on strike as of 3 a.m. this morning after rejecting the latest contract from Waste Management. The strike will affect customers in Inglewood, Carson, Rolling Hills, Rancho Palos Verdes, Manhattan Beach, South Gate, Long Beach, Huntington Park and portions of the San Fernando Valley.
- Is there no end to the evils Britney Spears will perpetrate upon the world? Now she's endangered the sock of a hapless paparazzi! And yes, you can already purchase said sock on eBay. Bids are up to $237, no kidding.
- The Eagles and the Dixie Chicks are opening the new Nokia Theatre in downtown LA -- will people go downtown to experience the new venue? Personally, I had a rough night and I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man!
- Amy Winehouse arrested! In Norway! For -- oh. Pot. Geez. So much for my dreams of a Scandinavia liberated from the terrors of the drug war. She's paid the fine of $715, so all is well.