This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- California, as in the state government, has new rules guiding employees on the use of Twitter and other social media outlets. For example, here's Rule No. 8: "Users shall not utilize tools or techniques to spoof, masquerade, or assume any identity or credentials except for legitimate law enforcement purposes, or for other legitimate State purposes as defined in agency policy."
- 11 state-owned office buildings around California, including the Ronald Reagon building in downtown L.A., are up for sale. It could bring in $2 billion to help with the state's $20 billion budget shortfall.
- "Van Nuys Airport will phase-out noisy jets over a seven-year period under an ordinance approved today by the Los Angeles City Council."
- A grenade found on the 5 Freeway in Orange County prompted the closure of artery in both directions. It was later removed by officials in the early afternoon.
- Want to live in the beautiful Chateau Colline along the Wilshire Corridor? A 966 square-foot one-bedroom unit is available for purchase. The cost: $825,000.
- Downtown is getting an asian noodle house. Urban Noodle will open on Monday.
- Up in Ventura, the city is doing quite well considering the economy. Thank inventive thinking.
- Finally... Some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook, through your RSS reader or via our new iPhone app.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.