This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Banning Fast Food, Murder on Wilshire, Jane Wyman RIP
- In today's LAFD updates, a structure fire at Fuller and a passenger car is trapped underneath an 18-wheeler.
- Will fewer fast-food restaurants mean healthier citizens? The City Council will be asked to consider a moratorium on new chain restaurants in South Los Angeles.
- Oscar-winning actress (and first wife to Ronald Reagan) Jane Wyman died today at the age of 93 at her home in Rancho Mirage.
- Students at forty LAUSD schools will be competing for a chance to hang out with J.K. Rowling at the Kodak Theater next month. A student from each of the schools will be chosen to attend based on his or her essay-writing skills.
- Thousands of people in Veracruz, Mexico, had to be evacuated early this morning because of six attacks on gas and oil pipelines. Officials believe the attacks were deliberate acts of sabotage. No direct injuries have been reported so far.
- A big win for L.A.'s intellectual and medical communities: Eli Broad has promised a $20-million gift to UCLA for stem-cell research. He has already donated $25 mill to USC to build a facility devoted to the same.
- There are domestic murders, which are bad, and there's random unprovoked murders, which concern us, such as the one near the Wiltern on Saturday night.
- Things not to do: hire a tree trimmer to cut down your neighbor's tree while she's on vacation and then refuse to pay the contractor.
- Moving into dense urban areas of the city surrounded by public transit is a good thing. Not using it is a bad thing. And maybe moving in the first place was a bad idea for the environment according to "urban heat island" studies.
Zach Behrens also contributed to this report.
Photo at Fiesta La Ballona in Culver City by doisneau via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.