This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Sometimes a Bunny needs energizing! | Photo by jstrathdee via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- Another Halloween casualty to report: a 19-year-old man was shot and killed last night while out trick-or-treating in Lancaster. Reports say he was fired at from a vehicle.
- Things were far more celebratory in Studio City last night, though, especially if you were a kid hitting up Hannah Montana director Rich Correll's place; he did it up in style as a haunted house for trick-or-treaters. Oh, Hollywood!
- Californians are set to rock their vote--hard! Record numbers are being set with over 17,000,000 people registering to vote in this week's Federal election.
- Not in our backyards, but... Mayor Sam tell us about a Seattle newspaper that has just published the addresses of house that currently have a McCain/Palin sign in their yard. We agree with Mayor Sam: "We're not really sure the purpose of this but given other Obama efforts to muffle dissent it presents a disturbing picture."
- A 27-year-old Pomona man who confronted the carjackers who had allegedly just stolen his girlfriend's car was shot by the thieves and died on scene.
- Actress Mackenzie Phillips, who was arrested at LAX in August for cocaine possession, pleaded guilty to her charges in an LA court yesterday, and was ordered into rehab (again).
- In his LA Times column today, Steve Lopez shares the story of a photograph taken over the summer of an elderly woman who was sworn in as a US citizen and who now looks forward to voting in her first American election.
- If you spot American Idol judge Simon Cowell sporting more of a scowl than usual around town these days it could be because he was recently dumped by his longtime girlfriend, who apparently voted the Brit out of her love life via phone call.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.