This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: You Gotta Know When to Fold 'Em
- Dear Hottie: Do U like me? Circle Y or N. xoxo Your Teacher.
- Looks like a duplicitous thief got their hands on the PINs for a whole lot of Monrovians; apparently over 20 residents of the SG Valley city have reported fraudulent ATM withdrawals from their accounts at locations all over SoCal.
- 12 workers at the Long Beach docks were affected by a chemical leak this morning. The substance is known as "skunk juice" and leaked from a shipping container.
- Pechanga Casino is getting ready to lay off 400 employees, blaming the move on the slump in the economy. The gaming resort happens to be the second largest private employer in Riverside County.
- To the north of us, the hunt is still on for the bear who attacked and mauled a hiker east of Bakersfield. Once the bear is caught he will be euthanized.
- Famous for being a celebrity's wife and mom, the widowed Candy Spelling will be bidding adieu in about a year to her tenancy in the largest home in LA County. She has bought a $47 million condo that's currently being built in Century City instead. Hope the new pad can accommodate a "wrapping room."
- So the lotus flowers were noticeably absent from this year's Lotus Festival in Echo Park, but LA Now has found a spot with plenty of lotuses (loti? lotusses?) in Bel Air.
- Lastly, EaterLA has a foodie-related tv stumper for you. There's a Taco Bell commercial starring Adam Carolla, who could be standing inside a real LA restaurant, but they aren't sure which one. (My vote: It looks like Tama Sushi on Ventura, but then again that's one of my fave sushi spots, so it could just be a reflex guess.)