This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Hard Time, Hot Time
- 45-year-old murder suspect Hovik "John" Mankyan, who engaged police in a lengthy standoff on Good Friday in Palmdale, is reportedly "clinging to life" in the hospital. Mankyan, who is wanted for a 2004 North Hollywood homicide "ingested poison and severed arteries" prior to surrendering.
- Honors on Ice: The Anaheim Ducks will honor SWAT officer Randal Simmons, who died in the line of duty, with a moment of silence before tonight's matchup with the Kings. James Veenstra, the officer who survived the violent standoff, will throw out the first puck.
- Design, engineering, aesthetics...oh, and bulletproofing. Today's Times looks atthe need for buildings in some parts of LA to be built "drive-by proof."
- So punk rock: 52-year-old Rocco Bannich (aka Rocco Roll of 70s band The Absentees) was sentenced 55-to-life yesterday for shooting at three Long Beach SWAT officers. The maximum sentence was imposed because of his "complete lack of remorse."
- Who's to blame: Cab companies? Car rental agencies? MTA officials? The Daily Breeze looks into the gap between the Green Line and LAX, and why over the past decade those trains haven't gotten any closer to the airport.
- Hey yooooouuuuuu guuuuyyyyysss! A rally was held today in Sacramento by environmentalists and activists demanding that "the California Air Resources Board (ARB) to be more aggressive about requiring automakers to produce a larger number of electric vehicles." Paging Ed Begley Jr...
- And to make a textbook case of the adage "from the sublime to the ridiculous," an Aliso Viejo woman is getting attention for being the first Mary Kay rep in the OC to earn herself a pink Cadillac Escalade for her makeup schilling skills. Now how much mascara does she have to sell to get a tank of gas for that thing?