This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Fun with Guns
- There is more information about the Wilmington shooting Thursday night that left one suspect dead and another in critical condition. "He just came out and decided, 'This is what I'm going to do today,'" one of the officers said. I think someone needed a hobby.
- Are you tired of the current crop of movies at the Arclight in Sherman Oaks? Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel, a Republican who has recently criticized some Bush Administration policies, aims to put your boredom on ice April 10, when he is scheduled to appear at the theater during Zocalo's public lecture series.
- Why the hell are so many people stockpiling weapons in Southern California? We told you about the Torrance man who had a ridiculous barrage of guns n ammo last week. Now a man in Anaheim has been arrested after police discovered a live artillery round in his back seat. It can't be the water.
- One man is in the hospital after he was allegedly stabbed by another man outside the Velvet Margarita Cantina in Hollywood shortly before midnight last night. The two were arguing and one pulled a knife. I blame Pres. Bush.
- OK, no more violence. Let's talk about administrative futility. Teachers and school workers continue to find fault with the new $95 million payroll system LAUSD enacted in January. One woman continued to receive her mother's checks, though the woman died in December 2006 and thousands of teachers and other workers were paid the wrong amount or not at all. It's a good thing Villaraigosa is tackling the woes of education in Los Angeles and not campaigning for Hillary Clinton.
- Enjoy sipping that St. Patrick's Day green gin and juice, but beware:DUI stings are set for this weekend throughout the southland. Checkpoints are planned in a number of communities, including Los Angeles, Pasadena, Covina, Glendale, Hawthorne, Irwindale and Monterey Park.