Extra, Extra: The Day That Isn't Always a Day
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- More on the arrest of Kazuyoshi Miura, who is accused of killing his wife in LA in 1981 and is being extradited from Japan: Turns out it was his blogging that got the authorities' attention. Bad blogger! Bad!
- Another one from the Cold Case Files solved: 47-year-old Wayne Osbourne of Virginia has been charged in the 1988 murder of Diana Michael, who was found "raped, beaten and strangled behind a Hollywood motel."
- Girl troubles can be deadly: Jorge Ernesto Villalobos has been charged in the stabbing death of Burbank's Glen Giles, who was found dead on his porch earlier this week. Quoth the Daily News: "Villalobos was apparently upset with Giles over his relationship with a mutual female friend, police said."
- Late last night in Hollywood a man tried to sic his pit bull on the LAPD, only to have the officers shot at the dog--and miss. The cops were on the scene to investigate complaints of the loud party. The dog is in custody with Animal Control.
- Remember the horrific auto-versus-everything at the Santa Monica Farmer's Market accident almost 5 years ago? Today a dramatic first-person narrative account of what it was like to be there was published on Waxy.org.
- Fan of Beyond Baroque rejoice! Our pleas to save the non-profit arts & lit center have been heard! The L.A. Now blog reports today that the lease has been extended.
- A $2.5 million study of the effects of pollution on communities near LAX will begin this June. They will be examining factors such as noise, wages, health, and green building issues.