This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Making Every Minute Count
Santee Village Apartments | Photo by atomicshakespeares via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr
- It's not the same thrill as being singled out as a draft pick when it's the police who want you: "An arrest warrant has been issued by the Irvine Police Department for St. Louis Cardinals utilityman Scott Spiezio on six charges stemming from a Dec. 30 incident."
- Police in Burbank are investigating the mysterious death of 47-year-old Glen Giles, who was found with multiple stab wounds on a porch in a quiet residential area.
- A 4-year-old boy fell from the second story of an apartment building today in North Hollywood, and was airlifted to a nearby hospital. How the boy came to fall is currently under investigation.
- The LAPD is busy returning stolen property to its rightful owners after a convicted burglar led them to his buried stash of hot goods.
- The new deadline looms for prospective CSU students. March 1 at midnight is the new cut off date for applications to attend seven popular CSU campuses in the fall; the deadline is a month later than some campuses, but a much earlier deadline than many campuses have ever imposed. So hurry up if you want to go to CSULA and be in one of my English classes this fall--get that app in!
- We count, we count! At least according to NY Times' food critic Frank Bruni, who published his list of "Top Ten Restaurants that Count" (not counting NY). LA gets one pick on the list: Culver City's Fraiche. LAist has been there twice, and a third time just for the cocktails and caviar, no less.
- Over at Wired, local blogger and photog Dave Bullock (aka eecue) talks about the little crystals making a big splash in the UCLA labs. A little bird also told us it's your Bday, today, dude. Happy Birthday from LAist!
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.