Extra, Extra: Making Every Minute Count
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today during our fall member drive.
- It's not the same thrill as being singled out as a draft pick when it's the police who want you: "An arrest warrant has been issued by the Irvine Police Department for St. Louis Cardinals utilityman Scott Spiezio on six charges stemming from a Dec. 30 incident."
- Police in Burbank are investigating the mysterious death of 47-year-old Glen Giles, who was found with multiple stab wounds on a porch in a quiet residential area.
- A 4-year-old boy fell from the second story of an apartment building today in North Hollywood, and was airlifted to a nearby hospital. How the boy came to fall is currently under investigation.
- The LAPD is busy returning stolen property to its rightful owners after a convicted burglar led them to his buried stash of hot goods.
- The new deadline looms for prospective CSU students. March 1 at midnight is the new cut off date for applications to attend seven popular CSU campuses in the fall; the deadline is a month later than some campuses, but a much earlier deadline than many campuses have ever imposed. So hurry up if you want to go to CSULA and be in one of my English classes this fall--get that app in!
- We count, we count! At least according to NY Times' food critic Frank Bruni, who published his list of "Top Ten Restaurants that Count" (not counting NY). LA gets one pick on the list: Culver City's Fraiche. LAist has been there twice, and a third time just for the cocktails and caviar, no less.
- Over at Wired, local blogger and photog Dave Bullock (aka eecue) talks about the little crystals making a big splash in the UCLA labs. A little bird also told us it's your Bday, today, dude. Happy Birthday from LAist!